Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Safelink Wireless

Ever since my parents retired they have been slowly but surely canceling many services. First they got rid of their cable and now they are getting rid of their cell phone. When they got rid of the cell phone I told them that they probably should not do that. If they do not have a phone, how would I ever contact them? They are pretty old and I like to call them ever now and then just to see if they are ok. I told them that they could apply for a Safelink phone. By doing that they would get a free cell phone and free minutes.

I believe my parents would be eligible because of their low income. They are already on Medicaid so I figured that would probably help them get the free phone. I went to the Safelink Wireless website to find out more information. Luckily the program was operating within their state. My parents went to the website and applied. It was pretty easy. They only had to send in a copy of their forms proving they were on Medicaid. Then they got their free phone.

I told my parents to be careful with the minutes on their cell phone. They do not get that much minutes and it is easy to run out. I told them to make emergency calls only. They should not be using the phone to chat with their friends. They promised me that they would not do that. I am happy that they have a phone again. I now call them once a week and talk to them for 10 minutes. Since the plan offers 60 free minutes, they save up most of their minutes every month. Every since my parents signed up for the plan, their friends have all asked them about it and signed up themselves.